Friday, August 5, 2011

VBS Comes to an End

Oh, the precious faces! These little sweeties made the work all worth it. It was exhausting, and I have to admit I took a nap every day when I got home. But I'm telling you, there is nothing like the excitement on those little faces as they file into your room, asking what craft we're making today. Our theme was the Armor of God. They made tshirts to represent the Breastplate of Righteousness, Sword bookmarks for the Sword of the Spirit, and of course, foamcore shields! My biggest disappointment came with the markers we used for the Belt of Truth, and the design of the Shoes of Peace.
Those markers came off on our hands if we even looked at them! And soap did not effect it!  The shoes would have been better if I'd just made little rectangles, but I told my helpers to trace their feet, and then when they cut them out, they cut along the foot line. So when we went to punch holes to string them, it was a very narrow space, and they ended up not being very comfortable. But I think they were still thrilled to make them. My camera died on me today, so I don't have any pics of the helmet and sword. They were really cute too.
Shoes of Peace


 Cool parachute to separate the areas.

 This is where they had snacktime.

The Breastplate of Righteousness

The Belt of Truth

 The Shield of Faith

One of the games they played was to "fight" the youth, who were representing the devil. The kids had their shields, and the youth threw soft sponge water balls at them. So the cool part was that whenever the kids shouted out the bible verse, the "devil" had to back up. I think it was such an effective way to teach them the importance of reading and memorizing Bible verses.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley! I'm a fellow bead enthusiast and former homeschool mom (our sons are now 28 and 25). You're a hero to those children in your VBS. I still remember when I was a child going to VBS every summer, and can recall special moments there. Your scripture skit or "exercise" is so foundational, they will remember it and use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shirley! You did it! All of that planning and hard work preparing the craft projects for VBS so that they were meaningful and enjoyable...and memorable! Thanks for sharing the pictures - it's clear to see everyone had a blast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really did a great job and it looks like the kids really had a great time! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VBS was nowhere near so interesting when I was a chilld. Wish I could have had you as my arts and crafts instructor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! The Armor of God is so important to understand too. Looks like they had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you stopped by! Thanks for your words of wisdom.