Saturday, August 27, 2011

Shadowbox Challenge Reveal

Hi all! The wonderful Lorelei Eurto set up a challenge with enameled shadowboxes from C-Koop. I was one of the lucky ones drawn to participate in the challenge.  What I love about this is how far it took me out of my comfort zone. As a beadweaver, I work with little tiny beads, creating pieces out of them, one bead at a time. Now, I had to figure out how to incorporate this lovely metal rectangle with gorgeous enameled colors into my skills.  I knew as soon as I received it that I wanted to put something in it, and I wanted a necklace that could be reversible, so you could see both sides of the shadowbox.  I turned to Diane Fitzgerald for help. I purchased her book, Shaped Beadwork, early this summer, and have been thrilled with the skills I've acquired thru the projects.  I chose an open diamond for the inside of the shadowbox. And, since the box isn't very big, I decided it had to be in size 15 seed beads. Those are some tiny beads, my friends!  And do you know what happens when you are working with a very precise, mathematical pattern, and you miss a step? You do not get a precise, perfect looking object! However, I really felt like it was meant to be, cause the slightly twisted effect of the diamond is in keeping with the random color patterns on the shadowbox, and in the necklace colors.
I love the overall soft effect of the necklace. It really has a lot of colors in it, but they all sort of blend together in the pattern.  The pattern is courtesy of Cynthia Rutledge, from the Sept Beadwork mag.
The only thing I am going to change is the beads attaching the box to the bail.  I think it needs a double strand for visual continuity.  Other than that, I am extremely pleased with the end result, and got complements the first time I wore it!



Now go check out the other participants! Here's the list:
11. Grubbi
          17. Shirley- Beads & Bread You are here
23. Andrew Thornton
Blessings, Shirley



28 comments:

  1. wow! you matched the colors perfectly! And the fact that it is reversible is incredible, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- that is so great. I love the subtle colors, and your geometric shape goes so well with the box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! seed beads! I love it! Your shadow box was particularly beautiful with the colors. You made an amazing piece, i'd keep that one if you were you!
    Thanks for participating. Feel free to add your pics to the Flickr group I created for participants: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1740275@N20/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color combo is PERFECT! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Shirley you NAILED it!!!!!! I especially love the bail, perfect for that shadow box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow Shirley, you did a fantastic job of capturing all the colors of the shadowbox. I love the wonky diamond gives true character. I love the beaded rope, Oh heck I just love it all!;-)
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seed beads are something that amaze and elude me! I'm impressed with what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out great! Your bead weaving is beautiful, and you found the perfect colors to match your box. This is so much fun seeing what everyone made!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley, what a fantastic piece you created. The colors you chose match the enamel box and the stitching looks great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello seed bead master and very nice to meet you! :)
    Your design is perfect for the beautiful shadow box you were given. Very nice masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 15's! Rock on! I respect eh seed beads and the seed bead artist! Gorgeous palette, perfect selections! The geometric diamond is a nice transition from the geometric bezel to the seed bead/woven piece. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love how you kept so much of the box visible and reversible. You've created quite a stunning piece. I can't imagine being able to make such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such detailed work! You have created a lovely piece. I work with silver and hammers and flames, so have a lot of respect for people who work with such tiny beads, as I think they would drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you have used your beadworking skills to take the challenge to its beautiful conclusion. Amazing piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very nice! I love seeing what everyone came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your beadwork! You met that challenge! Lovely piece... colors and design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shadowbox has some lovely colors. And you picked them up nicely with the seed beads. I like the beaded components you made. I'll have to investigate Diane's book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the twirling cord you made is what i like best. haven't seen anyone do that! gorgeous colors, too. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a perfect frame for your lovely beadwork! Great colors and I admire your skill with a needle! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely you have picked up the beautiful colors of that bezel and transformed them in seed beads to an absolutely gorgeously beadworked surrounding. I am particularly intrigued by the rope, and would love to see some more close-ups of that. Overall a perfect marriage! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm just so impressed by your beadwork here! This is just lovely! And the colors works so perfectly together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just great, Shirley. I love the beadwork and the colors, and the bail is so perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your necklace looks like it took forever to make! I love seeing how the shadowbox is used with beadweaving! The colors you picked go perfectly with your gorgeous box. I love that it is reversible! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect! I love this color when enameling. It likes to change colors with the heat. I also like the use of the seed beads as the bail and in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just gorgeous! The patterns of your beads are so pretty with the pattern you can see in the box. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! It's edgier and definitely makes a statement. I love how you wanted to display both sides of the pendant.

    ReplyDelete

I'm thrilled you stopped by! Thanks for your words of wisdom.